Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Ugly Cry


So when tomorrow starts without me
Don't think we're far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here, in your heart.
 
(When Tomorrow Starts Without Me by David Romano) 
 
Monday morning I woke up with that feeling that my steady pace was plummeting into a quick decent thus it would be wise to fasten my seat belt and keep my hands and arms inside the moving vehicle.  Up until then Maya had been having a rough week yet I had been able to mostly keep my head above water.

This Monday I woke up wondering why the elephant had reestablished residence on my chest.  I didn't want to get out of bed and quite honestly it was a struggle to get myself to move.  In the wee hours of the morning sadness had moved in to envelope me.
 
In my day to day activities I wonder if I give the impression that I'm doing fine...business as usual.  I wonder if people know I'm sad or if this mask I am wearing is too thick to see the truth.
 
Today someone I have known since I was a small child had a double mastectomy in a return battle with breast cancer.  The anger toward all the sadness and struggle in this world has overpowered me. The unfairness in life is a blaring siren in my heart.

I am trying to look at the good things.  The bounteous nature of those around us is stunning.  My children's laughter is an amazing contrast to the stark bareness in my heart. 

I am wrestling with the abyss in my life.  

Today Owen said 'School' and all I could think of was calling Chris to tell him.  While I was making dinner the kids kept wanting me to play the same song over and over.  Every 2 minutes and 57 seconds I was back to press play.  On a return trip to the kitchen I looked at a picture of Chris hanging on my fridge and did what Oprah would call 'the ugly cry.'  In our normal life he would have been out dancing with them and starting the song over.  In this life I am too frazzled trying to get dinner on the table to stop and admire my babies joy.  It just pisses me off.  Tonight Chris would have enjoyed the howling wind and side blowing snow.  He would have reassured me that the trees will not fall on our house. 

An entire list of people who have said "call any time, day or night" meanders through my mind.  Tonight I threw around names...who to call; I needed someone to reach out to.  In the end, I didn't call anyone because what was I going to say and then what would they say back?  I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable and all that would have come out is 'the ugly cry'.  At 9:30 p.m. the phone rang but I couldn't bring myself to say anything to steer the conversation off course toward my void.  I suppose the crux of the situation is that grief is quite like an iceberg out at sea.  There is nothing there to truly sustain life thus the objective is to find a way  back to land.  
 
On days like this I feel like I have lost both my dignity as well as my sanity.  At least this time I saw the wall coming 36 hours before actual impact.   Perhaps next time I will have the foresight to put my helmet on before arrival. 

8 comments:

  1. We all love you, we all KNOW you're not fine, we all understand that you have a brave face on yet we all KNOW you still need comfort, support, and and just an ear to hear you cry! I am speaking for myself( and probably most people) if you call me in the middle of the night I am okay listening to tears ( my heart will break for you), I am okay just keeping you company until that elephant goes to sleep for the night. I AM HERE FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post hits really close to home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie. My phone and heart are always open for you. I know you are so sad, and that it isn't even close to being ok or back to normal. I actually wanted to call you last night, but am wrestling with my place in this tragedy. I am not family, and am a relatively new friend. But that doesn't mean I don't see your pain as clearly or ache for your loss and confusion. I love you, and am just not sure what the best way to support you is. I guess I just need to leap and hope I hit my mark. I would hate to lose your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sabrina, I know we haven't actually spoken on the phone in a long time but know that anytime you just need someone to listen to you cry, you can call me anytime. I will send you my number on FB. Your bravery every day that you get yourself up and out of bed is remarkable. Your kids are so lucky to have a mom that is so strong. Remember though, you don't always have to be strong by yourself, so many people are here for you. Hugs - Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabrina,

    Thing #1...no one knows how the hell to deal with this stuff. I have found myself grappling with hope...in fact your circumstance and the circumstances of other friends I have struggling with cancer have made me look at my own life and the tools I am giving my children to handle these...sorry to be cliche...storms. We went to church last Sunday, albeit a liberal one, and I have started reading my children those Bible stories that I have avoided in discomfort since I don't know what to believe because of the very circumstance you are in. I have wondered...how will my children handle the pain that life will hand them if I don't offer them some respite through faith. Sabrina, that is what I pray for you (yes, even pray...I am improving in my piddly faith) that you will experience, the "Peace that surpasses all understanding". I am on some sort of crazy tangent. But don't we all do the fancy two-step when we see people we care about obliterated by tragedy? And BTW, perhaps totally inappropriate but when you said, "ugly cry"...I first laughed because we have laughed about this before when you were reading some sappy book in a waiting room. Don't we all need a good "ugly cry" now and then?
    Shewhohastoomanywords-
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just realized I did Thing 1 with no Thing 2...either way...where was I going with that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sabrina,
    This is my first time to visit your blog (I found you through Widow's Voice). My heart aches for you and everything you're going through and facing.
    It's all so horribly familiar.
    All I can tell you is that you are not alone, not really. And you are not crazy. Not at all, though sometimes going insane would be preferred, would it not?
    Keep writing. It helps you to grieve well and to grieve hard, in my opinion.
    It helps you keep Chris' love alive.
    It helps others who are out here on the same road.
    You are in my prayers ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I said everything I needed to say (and more) on the phone, but forgot to mention how wonderful this picture of Chris and Maya is! Makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete