Monday, January 3, 2011

Runaway Train

By noon I had a raging headache. The funny thing was that I got more sleep last night than I had in awhile.

It started with an early Owen 'wake up call' at 6:20 a.m. Zzzzzzzzzz. That was followed up by a sleepy Maya who wanted to go to the gym so she could play with Addie but was too sleepy to get motivated to help get herself ready. We made it to the gym though not as early as I wanted because the car was encased in frost. Of course I was supposed to get there early so I could reactivate my account which had been on hold during the absence since Chris' death. In a big line of people, I frazzled the man with my request though he figured out a solution which still allowed me to make it to Zumba.

I was anxious about the gym but I love the class. Owen screamed when I put him down and I needed to remind the childcare workers of 'our situation' in case anything came up. Owen recovered quickly but then I walked in to find a substitute Zumba teacher. After being lost for 55 minutes, one of the childcare workers came in to get my friend because her daughter was upset because mine was playing with Owen and not her. Man, that breaks my heart. We both went back and indeed Maya was playing with Owen. Big deal? Not tremendously but I don't like seeing Addison with her feelings hurt and I was already on edge. Oh, did I mention the sun was reflecting off the court and giving me a headache during Zumba? Of course once out at the membership desk again I had to explain why I had 6 months free...then as I pulled out of the driveway Maya asked why I told the lady my husband died. Because...he did. He's dead. As much as I know this is my reality, I seem to have to remind myself I will never have another conversation with him while I am on this Earth. It's like taking a hot poker to myself.

On the way home, I cried. I don't want Maya to become 'that' kid but I cannot for the life of me figure out where to draw the line. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, treat her patiently but at the same time...I want us to come out of this without Maya having become a brat. I am overwhelmed by trying to navigate this alone. I kept thinking that in our 'normal' life I would have called to vent to Chris on the way home and he would have reassured me that it will be fine. He would have offered to take the kids so I could get a break when he got home. He would have had an idea about what to do. But in our 'normal' life Chris wasn't dead. In this abnormal life I am flying solo and calling the shots. You'd think my type A personality would love that part but actually, I loathe it.

I got a shower with Owen banging on the door followed up by Maya's insistence to have Oatmeal for lunch which I conceded to since it just seemed to go with the territory today.

Maya was exhausted so I made her lay down with me and my excruciating headache. I pulled out a book called Samantha Jane's Missing Smile. Now Maya had been asking about Chris all last night last and all day today. She wanted him home, she wanted to talk to him, she wanted to hug him.... No matter what I said or didn't say she kept right on going. It became a whine. It's at that point I started to crack a little. Thus I pulled out the book, a story about a girl whose daddy dies...fitting. Maya murmured in agreement during the book and asked questions about the girl's daddy and her own. She connected. Bittersweet. In moment like this I think, this sucks. This shouldn't be us. But then again, I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

So, what's the big deal? All the minuscule events but, combined, exhausted me physically and emotionally. It overwhelmed me thinking about never having the reprieve of my spouse, my partner, my companion. He got me.

I miss the sound of Chris' Hermanson van pulling into the driveway at 4 p.m. If I could return to our 'normal' life, he could work nights every day until we are old and gray. I hated when he worked nights. I was lonely and didn't like sleeping at the house alone. Now, that is all small stuff. I mind the loneliness but I just miss him. Plain and simple.

At bed time Maya was back at the questions. She wanted to read the book again but this time we talked about some of the fun things she used to do with her daddy. I don't know if it's good or bad. At one point she told me she wanted to go to heaven with daddy. I totally get it. I have had moments I thought, why couldn't we have all gone at once? Nobody left to feel the emptiness in our home or question the feelings of anger and abandonment. Or, like I do, question the guilt in why I wasn't alarmed by the thud or how I feel like I let our friends and family down by not being the hero that Wednesday morning. If only it were all so easily rewritten like a 'choose your own adventure' book where you could go back and choose a new path if you didn't like where yours was going.

I hate where mine is going. It feels strangely akin to a runaway train.

3 comments:

  1. I spent a long time after reading your blog tonight...trying to find the right words to encourage you in your long slog through these days. I found poems...I found Bible verses...but none of them were enough. So instead I will just say I hear you, I know I am not alone in adding up the weeks as they keep piling up that your dear husband has been gone and praying for your strength. I imagine you feel parched and tired...you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris is missed. Every day I shed a few tears because I miss him, his being, his energy, his kindness, his honesty. I miss watching him idolize and love his wife totally and completely; hug, tease, play, and spoil his babies; get down and be goofy with his little red-headed niece; joke and tease his brother and best friend. I cry not for Chris, because I know in my heart that Chris is OK and safe, but for the hole in this world that is left for everyone that loves him to maneuver around. The pain I feel is for you. There is nothing anyone can say or do to ease your pain, or help you make sense of the world you are left to figure out and find a way to thrive in. As much as we want time to go back and fix that day, or stand still so we can figure things out, it goes on. It seems so unfair. I do know that time will eventually offer you solace. The fog will shift slowly and allow you to feel the warmth of the sun waiting to shine and warm you. You will eventually feel more warmth in the memories of Chris than sadness. You will never stop feeling some sort of sadness over the loss of the life you and Chris were to have had. Eventually the happiness of the memories of the life you did have will be stronger than the feelings of sadness over what was denied.

    When my mind feels overwhelmed by the painful thoughts of Chris' death, and I can no longer bear to watch you in pain, I think about what is to come. You are a beautiful woman with a full life yet ahead of you....... a life different than the one you and Chris charted with the exception of Maya and Owen. They have their entire lives ahead of them and you will continue to lead them down the path you and Chris chose for them. Raising kids is hard when doing it as part of a team.... It will be harder doing is single handily..... but you are not alone. The 'village' loves your kids and will be there to watch over them too.

    I think of all the life experiences Maya and Owen have yet to have, and look forward to watching their personalities and bodies change, and develop into the people you dreamed they would be. The good life they will have and the strong loving people they will become because they had a mother and father that loved each other, and them, so completely. You will continue to be the mother were were before Chris' death, and you will continue to keep fresh in their minds the memory of the man and loving father Chris was.

    The runaway train is still on it's track. I see it holding tight, tipping a little from side to side, but not as out of control as it may feel. The train will eventually slow down enough that you can once again enjoy the view. One day it will slow down enough to let you choose to step back on to solid ground and actually feel and be part of the world around you again. Until then, know your family and friends are watching out for you and your kids. We love you.



    Chris is not here on this earth to physically support you and the kids; he is here spiritually. He loved you and the kids so completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sabrina, it just breaks my heart that you feel you let us down. I know you feel alone, and the horribly reality is, you are the lone parent now. That's horrible and painful enough, but I know I can speak for everyone when I say that NO ONE blames you. We love you and hate your "situation". No one could imagine doing anything that awful Wednesday morning differently than you did. You have enough pain, so please let that one go. You can. Also, Maya's going through so much, it's going to affect her behavior right now, but she will come out of OK because she has you for her mother. Love you.

    ReplyDelete