Sunday, March 20, 2011

searing loneliness

I will not be nominated for mother of the year, of that I am fairly certain.  Some days, like today, I listen to my responses to my kids and think "Really?!?!"  The parent I long to be and the one I currently am have very little in common.  The parent I was before 'this' and the parent I am now also seem to lack similarities. 

Last week on my run through Target I stopped momentarily to check my list at the end of the car seat aisle.  I overheard a very heated discussion, or berating, from a woman.  She said "Push the seat in.  You are not helping me.  Push.  Do you realize standing there chewing your gum does me no good.  What do you think you're doing?"  I looked up to see a very tired mom talking to a maybe 2nd grade boy.  In my quick analysis I saw she was wedding ring-less and had the look I see in the mirror each day.  Who knows what her real situation is but I wanted to walk over and give her a hug. I wanted to tell her, I know, it sucks, it's hard, we are tired.  Instead, when she made eye contact with me and I offered up a weak smile which she shrugged off probably thinking I was judging her previous conversation, not realizing I was instead connecting to that moment she was having.

At one point early in my relationship with Chris he began working nights for a month long stint.  He had not worked night shifts consistently at all in the previous year of our relationship.  Suddenly, I was a little excited to have the apartment to myself, to watch what I wanted, to lay on the couch and take a nap when I felt like it and just be lazy a bit.  That lasted about three nights before the loneliness set in.

Because my parents were able to stay with us much of the first 5 weeks following Chris' death it took longer for it to set in.  Instead I moved through anxiety and panic as I got used to my house again sans Chris.  The first night here alone I was excited to reclaim my space again.  I sat on the couch, surfed the Internet, watched TV, read a book....it felt slightly freeing.  Unfortunately, a few nights into it I felt it.  The searing loneliness.  I know, so many of you reading are saying "Call me Sabrina, it's OK."  If I could, I would.  In the end, what am I going to say?  I feel a lot of shame in calling someone to basically save me from myself.  Really it's not that I am longing for some deep conversation, I truly just want a warm body here.  I wouldn't ask 'you' to leave your home, your kids, your spouse to come sit in front of the television with me because I truly feel like you should all soak up every minute you have with them.  I found those hours with Chris invaluable.

Chris and I had several shows we watched together.  After we tag teamed bedtime routines and settled in we would watch a show, debate politics, discuss current events, laugh at Facebook, check out my blog, make plans for the next day, make a 'goody' run, pull the house back together, brainstorm ideas for vacations...we just talked.  I miss having another human being who is as invested in my life as I am.  I miss having real conversations with real people during those hours before bed.

Tonight the kids were both asleep in bed by 8:10 p.m.  I washed some dishes, watched a few minutes of Sister Wives, folded the last load of laundry, and wondered how weird it would be to talk aloud to my dog.  People do that, right?  I mean, I say things to my dog and cat but I don't carry on one sided conversations.  Then I realized, it's not really a substitute for a legitimate person.  Even my dog is not as invested in this family as I am. 

So, where does that leave me?  The past three nights the searing loneliness has been painful. I feel it in my chest.  As soon as I shut Maya's door and begin my descent to the living room I notice the heaviness set in.  It's a heaviness I have felt only two times in my life.  The first was the first three nights after we brought Owen home.  Things were going great but all three nights I woke up having a panic attack and had to wake Chris up.  He came downstairs with me and held me til things calmed.  The second time was the night after Chris died.  I slept very little.  After a very short nap I woke up feeling like I needed to escape my house.  My mom went for a 4 a.m. walk with me around the neighborhood.  Tonight, the heaviness isn't out of control like those previously mentioned nights.  It's present but I am prepared for it and find ways to calm and distract my mind and body.

In the end, it's one more thing to get used to.

3 comments:

  1. Took the words right out of my mouth. So scary and painful, this lonliness that nobody can fix except the one person who is NOT coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a terrible feeling...the one you describe shutting Maya's door and going downstairs. I had that when I was at my aunt's house...even though I was in a houseful of people I was alone as I went down the stairs to my bedroom. Heavy, heavy weight. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete