Tuesday, February 22, 2011

World-Weariness

cyn·i·cal  (sn-kl)
adj.
1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.
A few days ago someone boldly pointed out that I have a very cynical attitude.  Now, don't get me wrong, I fully admit I do but I also think I do with justified reason.  Basically, it's a defense mechanism.  I didn't at all take offense to this comment, but it did make me realize how I perhaps am vocalizing it excessively.  
Here's the lowdown...my husband died.  Are you shocked?  Ok, not fair, that was sarcasm, also a defense mechanism.
Really, I have always played these mind games I call 'worst case scenario' with myself.  For example, when Maya was a newborn my milk supply was low and she wasn't gaining weight.  At two weeks old she was still an ounce below her birth weight.  I was horrified and convinced she was going to die despite the fact the pediatrician told us to supplement with formula and all would be well.  Of course, instead I did start supplementing but laid her on my chest that afternoon after her first bottle, thinking that I would snuggle her in case she died.  So, this scenario obviously didn't happen as my 'worst case scenario' since she is a very healthy almost 4 year old in fact she started gaining so fast it startled me.  But, I am sure you can totally see where I am going with this.

Chris and I often had 'worst case scenario' discussions though I am fairly certain they were from my persuasion.  The topics varied from house fires to cancer to divorce.  Never, ever, did the discussion broach young, tragic death.  Always the death scenarios were far into the future.  Even in the divorce discussions it was more about the statistic and who would divorce that we know and not actually about us.  Because, you know, that sort of thing doesn't happen to us. (Don't worry, we were not talking about YOU.)

And then it happened, something worse...

I remember questioning whether this could even be real because I had never even imagined such a heinous ending to our marriage, our life, Chris' existence.  

Cynical?  Yes, right now I am but because of definition #4...negative or pessimistic because of world-weariness.  The world caught me off guard and took me to a place even my most negative thoughts had never taken me and I am feeling weary that it will take me there again thus I must be prepared this time. 
In the end, it's just an excuse I suppose.  I don't want to be cynical but it seems like the flip side to that coin right now is that the world owes me some goodness, which it doesn't so why go through life expecting good things to be handed to you on a silver platter.  At the same time, I don't want to expect the worse either...
Beginning today, I am warding off cynicism. 

5 comments:

  1. Sabrina,
    This post has surprised me more than any of your other posts. Of course there's cynasism sometimes, somedays. However, I can honestly say that the way you have "pulled up your boot straps" and continued to be such an incredible Mom has been one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen. I know you feel angry and cheated, and rightfully so. The last word I would use to describe you is cynical though. We can all strive to be more positive and that's great, but make no mistake...you've been dealt a huge blow in life and if you feel like being sarcastic or cynical to get through the day, I say that's OK too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm disagreeing. Yes, you might make a cynical remark (or laugh) here and there, but according to the above definitions, you are not cynical. Everything in those definitions ooze selfishness and negativity. That is not you. I see someone who has been dealt a severe blow and has jumped back up and is an amazing mom. I see someone who is willing to be honest in her grief and real in her trials. Try these definitions: persistent, courageous, unfailing, REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B,

    You are truly deserving of some goodness. I sometimes wonder of the advice of others and glass houses. Life can be hard, painful, and unfair and when it happens you can be cynical. It is what makes you real. To feel. To hurt.

    If it makes you feel better I describe myself as cynical and quite lame as sometimes life just gets you. I wont make opinion of you except to describe you as adorable. And, if I could I would go back to Camp Killoqua and find you some ferry dust to cheer you right up. (If you dont understand that refernece please see above for my lameness). :)
    Love,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabrina.

    You do not know me. I went to school with your sister and have been follwing your blog since i heard about your loss.

    Today i read your post and could not believe what i read.

    I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE ANYONE EVER HAVING THE RIGHT TO SAY SUCH A UNFAIR COMMENT.

    i dont personally know you but from just reading your post i can tell how strong and wonderful you are. Sure you have BAD days. your going to have a lot more. BUT in the end you are doing your very best.

    i hope you dont let the ignorence of 1 person way you down because you have no reason to let it.

    in the end you should be proud of the fact you crawl out of bed every morning and put your clothes on. I give you props for that. What a amazing mother you are...

    i hope whom ever said that reads the comments.

    All i have to say it "SHAME ON YOU" !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one cynic to another...cheers! But seriously I am this way too. I would not take it personally if someone told me I had a cynical attitude either...because lets face it. Life sucks sometimes. Because I am trying to empathize and maybe am doing it terribly...but will anyways in the hopes of being understanding I distinctly remember a time when I was a little girl and watching the movie, Annie. If I have said this before forgive me. But I remember those uncynical days and thinking...poor Annie...she is an orphan with no parents...no one loves her. And then I practically was Annie...abandoned by my mom...tossed around. And the cynic was born. I find it to be a good defense mechanism...and it has protected me. I expect the worst many times...and I enjoy being pleasantly surprised most of the time. What am I saying? Go with what works Sabrina. If that means being cynical...do it. I think being cynical is being honest with ourselves...and it has allowed me to move forward...albeit skeptically. ;)

    ReplyDelete