Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Judgement

Maya was being her usual goofy self on the way home from swim but her silliness suddenly took an ugly turn.  She looked at Owen and said, "We're going to die some day. And then we can see daddy.  Yeah!  I can't wait Owen."  Nausea sets in..

A four year old should not be excited about dying but she also should not have to cope with the loss of her daddy.  But really, who am I to judge her excitement. 

On a whim I googled widow + dating.  Really, it was sort of an idiotic move.

I'm not sure what I was looking for, but I can guarantee I didn't find it.

Instead, I found a post by a woman appalled by her cousin who was dating after his wife's death.  At the time of her post it had been about 3 months.  I agree I was not ready after 3 months.  But who's to say he was not.  The woman even went as far as confessing she was 'venting' about the situation because it bothered her so profusely.  The responses that followed her posts mostly represented those appalled by the cousin's dating.  Many indicated they thought it was 'appropriate' to 'expect' a widow to wait a year 'out of respect.'  Of course, many of these responses also included the information that the responder was not a widow, but it was what they would do if they were widowed. 

Do people really imagine they would be widowed at 33 with a 3 1/2 year old and 16 month old?  I am a worst case scenario kind of person and never had I imagined the events that transpired leading me down the path of widowhood and single parenthood.  In the end, even if I had imagined it, I was so clueless.  There is no way I could know what would be right for any individual's journey through widowhood let alone ..... my own.

I wanted to track this poor man down.  Of course the post was dated 2009 thus the events are long passed.  I wanted to let him know he should make whatever choice he needed to for his life in that moment.  Life is about choices, good and bad.  My only advice is that choices be purposeful not haphazard. 

In the end, we all arrive at the pearly gates with bag full of good and our fair share of both questionable and plain bad choices. 

My insinuation is not that I am perfect.  I pass judgment as well.  But I suppose what I am truly wanting to say is, be sure you are being constructive and not destructive when you are helping anyone through a crisis or arduous journey.  This man, like all widows, was in the process of trying to discover who he is without his wife, without his marriage and ultimately without the life he once lead.  Though it seems like 'slow' is the favored path I would venture a guess it is not.  My journey through widowhood has thus far shown me some things are best faced head on and in the immediate.  This journey has a steep learning curve and with it the decisions are never ending.  

Shortly after Chris' death I had an interesting conversation.  It was one repeated over the first few months.  These conversations surrounded the question of whether Chris had been seeing a doctor and whether we knew about his Cardiovascular Hypertensive Disease.  He had not and did not.  He had refused to go to the doctor in the 7 1/2 years I had known him.  In this 'interesting' conversation I was told that this person 'made' their significant other go.  Ouch!  I wasn't mad, per say, about this response.  But it made my heart ache.  In retrospect, of course I wished I had made Chris go.  However, I couldn't and I didn't and now ultimately that doesn't matter.  He's dead.  So many things are said out of love with best intentions. 

No worries, this wasn't meant as a diatribe.  In my own pursuit of healing, this moment of using google to solve my life problems lead me down this path.  It's a lesson I need to learn just a well as the next person, widow or not.

In the words of Voltaire, judge a man by his questions rather than his answers. 

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I DO imagine myself in such horrific circumstances, and even so, I know that my imaginings don't come anywhere near the reality. I try to think: "If I died, how would I feel about my husband seeking connection with another woman 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month later?" For me, the answer is that I would want that for him. I would just hope that the chick was cool. And that jealousy won't be an issue in the afterlife... But I'm my own worst critic, and if I were in that position I'd be judging myself more than anyone else would. I wonder if that's the case for you, too.

    It seems like the idea of being "ready" for anything is kind of laughable. I doubt any of us is really ready for any of the big important things that happen in our lives, and they happen anyway. As you know better than just about anyone.

    I was just thinking how exhausting it must be for you to have to be working through such huge important issues all the time... But thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. It really is an honor to be able to read this.

    Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabrina, since Chris died, I've thought A LOT about what it would be like to be a widow. Honestly, I let myself go there for about 2 seconds and it's too painful and I stop. Although I'm scared for you, I worry about you, I'm in awe of you, and I just plain feel SO awful for you, I am here to support you no matter your choices or how you decide it's best for you to live YOUR life. I know Chris loved you and would want you to be happy. It's what we all want for you more than anything. Don't underestimate how much you're loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Widow and dating......

    where do people get off telling someone WHEN it is OK for them to continue living? When a spouse (or anyone you are close to) dies, your heart aches so bad that you can't think of anything but the physical and mental pain tied to that loss. Your ability to continue living is dependent on your ability to find a way to control or soothe that pain. This is a very personal process. Some have a good grasp on dealing with death (due to preparedness - such as the person growing old) others are blindsided and have to figure out what the hell happened before they can begin to find a way to soothe their hearts. And then there are other factors in ones life that makes it essential to continue putting one food in front of the other (like having kids) despite your broken heart. Anyone who thinks they can put a time stamp on the process is just plain ignorant, self-absorbed, and not part of the real world. A little harsh? Maybe.

    My belief is that Chris would not want you to continue on the life path you two started on alone. Nor would he want his kids to. Having grown up without a father in his life, I think he woud have loved to have had his mom to be happy - to have a stable person in her life that could be her friend and her companion for the rest of her journey. Someone to love her and that she could feel love for. Someone that would love her kids and be there every day to help guide them on their journey through life. There is always room for more. Love is not limited. Just as you are able to love all your children, you are able to love a new spouse. Doesn't take anything away from the deep love you had for your first spouse - nor from the journey you shared with them. It's just a continuation on. When it is appropriate to allow someone new to enter your life? Every day is a good day to let that happen. There are NO time stamps!!!!


    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a really interesting question, regarding the time b/w widowhood and dating. I have heard it more in the context of the elderly losing a spouse and then marrying quickly after. I have always thought that it didn't diminish the love they had for their spouse. My husbands grandpa lost his wife...probably 20 years ago?? And married within a year a friend of his wife! I know one of his sons really struggled with it and was very angry, whereas the other son thought his father deserved some happiness. I am happy to say he is still married to his second wife. He does know happiness again...his first wife, my kids great grandma does come up in conversation. I hear wonderful things about her. Thinking of dating or actually dating and eventually marrying does not replace the other spouse...anymore then people who have lost a child can replace that child.
    I have no idea how I would handle widowhood. I like to think that I would tackle things head on...better to take a sharp knife then a dull one.
    Ultimately, nearly all of us that read this blog will be widows at one point or leave our spouse. I think, wrongly, that we often think the pain of an older person losing a spouse would be more easily manageable...but seeing my grandpa lose my grandma. That doesn't appear to be true.

    ReplyDelete