Thursday, November 4, 2010

Death

Last spring we had two big events, my grandfather (old grandpa) died as did our goldfish. Maya had not spent a significant amount of time with her great grandfather but enough to need to be told about the event. It was definitely a little confusing. Shortly after, our fish died and Maya helped me flush him. Another confusing moment. Fast forward.

We have talked about death off and on the past 6 months. Maya asks questions and mostly I answer them very truthfully. It did, however, make me realize that I need to be very cautious of even news stories on tv when she is in the room because it ignites the questions again.

This past Tuesday, my grandma (Maya's GG) had knee replacement surgery. I told Maya about GG being at the hospital and we talked about her knee being 'broken' and her needing a special new one the doctors made for her. Maya decided to draw her a picture of her 'new crazy knee' so we made it into a card and added some words and a few stickers (ok A LOT of stickers). Owen even drew on some paper and put some stickers on a card for GG. Maya insisted she wanted to go to the hospital but I wasn't so sure. In the end, Chris and I decided it was OK. I explained what we would see and hear fairly thoroughly. We stopped and got some flowers and a balloon on our way.

Of course, by the time we got there GG had been given some medicine to help her sleep and was very sleepy but she did wake for a few minutes to say hi to us. Maya was a smidge quiet but overall she took it all in stride and was excited that GG was happy about her cards and flowers. On our way out to the car she asked about GG's IV in her hand so we talked a little about it but she remembered mine from the hospital so it was easily explained.

Then...on our way to preschool on Thursday Maya asked me, "Mommy, is GG dying." Ooops. Ok, back for more explaining! Thankfully GG is home tonight healing so now I think Maya has set that idea aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment