Thursday, September 9, 2010

And so it begins!

Maya came running down the stairs this morning asking me to come up to her room. I wasn't sure what she wanted, but it was to show me that her clock had turned green (the indicator that it's OK to get up). Then she looked at me with her eyes wide and asked "What's today?". When I told her it was her first day of preschool she was ecstatic. It was 7:45 and we had a lot to do before we could leave the house at 9:25. We had eggs, toast and peaches then Maya needed a bath (not our usual routine but we ran out of time last night) and finally she got dressed in her new first day of school outfit we bought yesterday. She was most excited about her new Twinkle Toes sketchers. She had been wanting them for months but I finally found a great deal on them yesterday. When we were all ready, we loaded her things in to her new Ariel backpack and went out front to take a few pictures.

The preschool is only about 5 or 6 miles from my house but it takes me about 10 minutes. On the way there we were talking about the construction we were driving by and Maya suddenly said "Mommy, I am so excited for my first day of preschool." My heart melted. Though she had been so excited and had been asking about it for months, in the back of my mind I was just hoping she wouldn't suddenly decide it was not such a great idea.

First we found her cubby and got her name tag to wear for the first day:

Then she decided to pose in at one of the art tables (she was looking at Owen):


It took her a minute to decide what she wanted to do first, but she settled on building a tower:


I had been there lingering for about 10 minutes and decided it was time to hit the road (though most of the parents were still holding out). I told her I was leaving and she said ok, I'll see you in a little while and off I went. Or so I thought. I was opening the outside door and heard, "Wait, mommy!" I thought uh oh! But, she only wanted to know where she could see me to wave goodbye. Luckily I had parked by a window and so I showed her it and out I went. Of course, by the time I got out there, she barely stopped what she was doing to wave, but she did.


Owen and I spent out time at Target then at home playing. Man, it's quiet without the continual chatter of a 3 year old girl! Alas, the time went quickly and I went back to get her. She was so excited to tell me all about the puppet theater, the book they read, the two projects she made, circle time, the clean up song and playing out on the playground. She had a great day and as I was zipping up her sweater she asked me how many days it is until she gets to go to school again. I was so happy for her that she had a fantastic day!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm so glad she had a great day. And you and Owen too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for preschool. I knew that you'd both do great! =)

    ReplyDelete